Tuesday, August 12, 2003

Here's Looking at You...Kid

Over the past year or so I have been told repetitively that I am an adult, I am big. I was a counselor and was in charge of others. I am going to be a senior and 18. I have responsibility's and priorities. I am in charge and I'm on top of the high school food chain....

And then Greg (the Greg) calls me kid. "Hey kid how you doing?" "Good seeing you again kid" (while patting my head) "hey kid, how you holding up?" The world of being big crashes down upon me and once again I am six. I am little. Seniors are inconsequential, compared to college kids. 18 means nothing to a 23 year old. SAT's, how about GRE's or MCAT's...high school is lost. Sitting in a to-big-for-me chair with what feels like my feet are dangling, all I can think is I'm little.

Then I realize a 23 year old is nothing to a 30 year old, just as a 30 year old is nothing compared to a 50 year old and a 50 year old is young to a person who is 80. And once you really are on top of the age chain, once you are truly "big"...you've really just shrunken and are back to having someone take care of you and ask you "how you doing, Nana" " "Nana how you holding up?" Funny how that works.

No comments: